Annealing Steel Services - Carbon Steel & Other Alloys
At Accurate Metal Products (AMP), we’ve provided metalworking solutions to customers across a range of industries for over 25 years. In addition to our core metal fabrication capabilities (e.g., laser cutting, plasma cutting, and oxy-fuel flame cutting), we offer a variety of material treatment and finishing services to ensure the components we deliver have the necessary functional and/or aesthetic properties. For example, annealing improves ductility and reduces hardness in materials.
Examples of Our Work
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Crankshaft Counterweight for the Energy Industry
- Fabrication of a Steel Drive Ring for the Manufacturing Industry
- Fabrication of a Large Bearing Cap for the Mining Industry
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Rotor for the Electrical Industry
Heat Treating, Thermal Stress Relieving & Annealing - Capabilities
- Annealing Methods
Subcritical Anneal (500 - 1400°F)
- Stress Relieving Methods
Standard Stress Relieve (1100 - 1200°F)
ASME Section I
ASME Section I (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section I, PW-39
ASME Section VIII
ASME Section VIII (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section VIII, UCS-56
- Carbon Steel
- Part Length
- Up to 105"
- Part Width
- Up to 60"
- Part Weight
- 10,000 lbs.
- Lifting Capacity
- 5 to 10 ton
- Additional Services
*Free Delivery (150 mile Radius of Milwaukee or Rockford)
- Production Volume
- Low to High Volume
- Lead time
- Inquire for current lead times
back to top
- Industry Focus
- Agriculture, Automation / Production Equipment,
Construction, Mining, Nuclear, Material Handling,
Municipal/ Government, Power Generation, Rail, Wind
- Intended Application
Heavy Duty Vehicle
- Industry Standards
- File Formats
- AutoCAD (DWG, DXF)
What Is Annealing?
Heat treatments involve heating a metal to a temperature below its melting point and then cooling it in a controlled manner. The heating-cooling process enhances existing properties or adds new properties, such as strength, durability, or ductility, making the material easier to work during the manufacturing phase or better suited for the intended application. Annealing is a heat treatment used to increase ductility and decrease hardness, which means the material is easier to draw into components (e.g., wires) and harder to break when subject to impact forces. It is commonly used for steels, including carbon steel, and other alloys.
The Annealing Process
Metals are made up of crystal structures referred to as grains. These grains can align in many ways, some of which cause internal stresses in the material. The annealing process removes existing stresses caused by old grains and produces new grains that do not cause stress, resulting in a better material.
The steps in the annealing process are as follows:
- Recovery. The metal is heated (typically by a furnace) to its recrystallization point, which relieves its internal stresses.
- Recrystallization. The metal is heated to above its recrystallization point but below its melting point, which allows new grains to grow without forming preexisting stresses.
- Grain Growth. The metal is cooled at a specific rate to ensure the controlled growth of new grains.
Benefits of Annealing
Annealed materials are more ductile and less brittle. These properties make them easier to form, machine, and otherwise work and better for applications where impact is a concern.
Annealing Services at AMP
The metalworking experts at AMP offer subcritical annealing capabilities for carbon steel, and other steel alloys. This heat treatment method involves heating materials at slightly lower temperatures to focus on material stress relief and stabilization.
Our capacities include:
- Furnace temperature: 500 to 1400° F
- Part size: up to 105 inches long x 60 inches wide x 72 inches high
- Part weight: 5 to 10 tons
- Volume: low to high volumes
Free delivery is automatically included for customers within 150 miles of either our Rockford, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin facilities.
We serve customers in a variety of industries with our fabrication and finishing services, including:
- Automation / Production Equipment
- Material Handling
- Municipal/ Government
- Power Generation
Typical applications for our annealing services include:
- Armor Plating
- Heavy-Duty Vehicle
- OEM Components
Industry Standards Met
We can produce parts and products to various industry standards, such as:
Contact Us for Quality Steel Annealing Solutions
Looking for an annealing service provider for your next project? Accurate Metal Products is the ideal partner! contact us to learn more about our capabilities or request a quote to discuss your requirements with one of our representatives.
back to top