Abrasive Blasting Services | Steel Shot & Grit | Metal Finishing
Abrasive blasting or grit blasting is a process that uses pressurized air or water to get rid of contamination, corrosion, or coating by propelling abrasive substances against a surface. Abrasive blasting is commonly used to clean or prepare a surface, finish a surface, shape a surface, make a smooth surface rough, or make a rough surface smooth.
Accurate Metal Products (AMP) is a leading provider of quality abrasive blasting services customized to meet your unique metal finishing requirements. Whether you need peening, polishing, cleaning, finishing, or more, AMP has the expertise and tools to provide high-quality blasting solutions that meet your needs and your budget.
Examples of Our Work
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Crankshaft Counterweight for the Energy Industry
- Fabrication of a Steel Drive Ring for the Manufacturing Industry
- Fabrication of a Large Bearing Cap for the Mining Industry
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Rotor for the Electrical Industry
Custom Abrasive Blasting - Capabilities
- Type of Finishing Service
- Abrasive Shot Blasting
- Equipment Features
- Automatic Recovery System
- Steel Grit
- Mill Scale
Heat Treat Scale
- Up to 20ft
- Up to 8 ft
- Up to 10ft
- Part Weight
- Less than 75 lbs (Tumble)
- Lifting Capacity
- 5000 lbs
- Additional Services
*Free Delivery (150 mile Radius of Milwaukee or Rockford)
- Production Volume
- Low to High Volume
- Lead time
- Inquire for current lead times
back to top
- Industry Focus
- Agriculture, Automation / Production Equipment,
Construction, Mining, Nuclear, Material Handling,
Municipal/ Government, Power Generation, Rail, Wind
- Intended Application
Heavy Duty Vehicle
- Industry Standards
- File Formats
- AutoCAD (DWG, DXF)
Steel Shot & Grit Blasting Services
At AMP, we offer custom blasting services ideal for a range of industrial needs, including heavy-duty vehicle parts, armor plating, OEM, and other components that require surface cleaning. Depending on your specific job requirements, we can leverage steel grit or steel shot processes designed to accommodate both low- and high-volume jobs. Ideally, both types of abrasive blasting efficiently remove heat treat scale, mill scale, and rust.
Notably, the shot-blasting process is undertaken on our modern blasting booth specially designed to accommodate parts with dimensions up to a maximum of 20' x 8' x 10'. Our highly experienced teams can also leverage an automatic recovery system to realize cost-effective and efficient processes.
Additionally, we have invested in 3 Wheelabrator tumble shot blasters that make sure parts weighing up to 75 lbs. are efficiently blasted with steel shots. Both steel grit and steel shot abrasive blasting processes guarantee an efficient and complete removal of mill scale, heat treat scale, and rust.
You can also trust our knowledgeable team to deliver top-notch parts ready for priming and painting. As part of our unmatched customer service, we offer free deliveries to customers within 150 miles of our Rockland, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin facilities.
Abrasive Media Types & Benefits: Steel Shot and Grit
As mentioned earlier, AMP uses steel grit or steel shot abrasive plastic processes, depending on job requirements. The shot used in most shot-blasting processes has small, spherical pellets that come in a range of sizes from one to 6 mm in diameter. Smaller shots give a smoother and more polished finish, while larger sizes produce rougher surfaces.
Our team also leverages steel grits for applications that need more aggressive cleanings, such as the removal of contaminants. We can also use chilled iron grit for the removal of rust and paint.
What Are the Benefits of Shot Blasting?
Shot blasting is an ideal abrasive metal finishing process effective for applications such as cosmetic finishing, roughening, preparing for painting, coating, surface cleaning, and more. There are several benefits of shot blasting, including:
- Shot blasting helps achieve an effective surface preparation while eliminating the need for harsh chemicals and other hazardous materials.
- It reduces preparation time by up to 75 percent while offering massive cost savings on labor expenses.
- Shot blasting ensures the removal of scales and surface debris while guaranteeing no damage to the underlying metal material.
- It extends the lifespan of protective surface coatings.
- Shot blasting enhances the adhesion of metal, epoxy, and paint coatings.
Grit Blasting Benefits
Grit blasting is an effective surface preparation method that blasts away surface contaminants and old paints using abrasive grits sprayed under high pressure. Depending on the surface being prepared, the abrasive media can be baking soda, crushed walnuts shells, ceramic beads, grit particles, or metallic shards. The following are some of the benefits of grit blasting:
- Cost reductions: Grit blasting processes use inexpensive equipment.
- Faster lead times: Grit blasting is a lot faster compared to traditional methods like wire brushing or sanding.
- High efficiency: It is also more efficient and produces better outcomes in removing stubborn contaminants such as rust.
- Recyclable: Ideally, many types of abrasive media used in the process can be recovered and recycled.
At AMP, we offer custom abrasive blasting services ideal for a range of applications such as armor plating, heavy-duty vehicle parts, OEM, or other components that require surface cleaning. The specific industries that benefit from our solutions include:
- Automation / Production Equipment
- Material Handling
- Municipal / Government
- Power Generation
Contact AMP for Quality Custom Abrasive Blasting Services
At AMP, we offer cost-effective grit blasting services customized to suit various applications, from new fabrications, metal finishing, and architectural steel fabrications to vehicle refurbishments and more. We abide by several industry standards, including ASTM, ANSI, ASME, which guarantee consistent quality. Contact us today to request a quote.
back to top