Quality Heat Treating Steel Services
At Accurate Metal Products (AMP), we provide metalworking solutions to customers across a wide range of industries. In addition to our core metal fabrication capabilities (e.g., oxy-fuel flame cutting, plasma cutting, and laser cutting), we offer a variety of material treatment and finishing services to ensure the parts and products we deliver have the desired functional and/aesthetic properties. Our heat treating service offerings include thermal stress relieving and annealing for carbon steel, and other steel alloys.
Examples of Our Work
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Crankshaft Counterweight for the Energy Industry
- Fabrication of a Steel Drive Ring for the Manufacturing Industry
- Fabrication of a Large Bearing Cap for the Mining Industry
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Rotor for the Electrical Industry
Heat Treating, Thermal Stress Relieving & Annealing - Capabilities
- Annealing Methods
Subcritical Anneal (500 - 1400°F)
- Stress Relieving Methods
Standard Stress Relieve (1100 - 1200°F)
ASME Section I
ASME Section I (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section I, PW-39
ASME Section VIII
ASME Section VIII (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section VIII, UCS-56
- Carbon Steel
- Part Length
- Up to 105"
- Part Width
- Up to 60"
- Part Weight
- 10,000 lbs.
- Lifting Capacity
- 5 to 10 ton
- Additional Services
*Free Delivery (150 mile Radius of Milwaukee or Rockford)
- Production Volume
- Low to High Volume
- Lead time
- Inquire for current lead times
back to top
- Industry Focus
- Agriculture, Automation / Production Equipment,
Construction, Mining, Nuclear, Material Handling,
Municipal/ Government, Power Generation, Rail, Wind
- Intended Application
Heavy Duty Vehicle
- Industry Standards
- File Formats
- AutoCAD (DWG, DXF)
What Is Heat Treating?
Heat treating refers to processes that heat metal to below its melting point and then cool it in a controlled manner to improve specific physical and mechanical properties, such as strength, malleability, ductility, and durability. Some of the most commonly utilized heat treating processes are annealing, carburizing, case hardening, cyanide hardening, nitriding, and tempering.
Why Heat Treat Steel?
There are many benefits to heat treating steel. For example, by altering the physical and mechanical properties of the material, it can:
- Improve the workability of the material, making it easier to shape into the desired components
- Enhance the strength and durability of the final components, resulting in better long-term performance
Types of Heat Treatments for Steel
There are numerous heat treating processes available for steel, each of which alters the material in different ways. At AMP, we offer the following heat treating services for carbon steel, and other steel alloys:
- Annealing. Annealing is one of the three basic steps most steel alloys undergo. The process involves slowly heating the material to above its recrystallization temperature, holding it at that temperature (i.e., soaking it) until changes to its physical and mechanical properties occur, and allowing it to cool slowly. The soaking time depends on the exact type of material and its mass. In any case, the result is a material that is more ductile.
- Thermal stress relieving. Thermal stress relieving is a heat treatment used to relieve internal stresses within a component or assembly that may have occurred as a result of previous manufacturing processes. It involves heating the workpiece to a set temperature and holding it at that temperature until the entire piece has reached it. The specific temperature and holding time depend on the material and weight of the workpiece. In any case, the resulting component is less likely to experience dimensional variation after all manufacturing processes are completed.
Our subcritical annealing capabilities range from 500–1400° F. Our heat treatment facility is equipped to perform various stress-relieving operations, including standard (1100–1200° F), ASME Section I, and ASME Section VIII (both 900–1300° F). Our lifting capacity for heat treating, thermal stress relieving, and annealing services ranges from 5 tons to 10 tons. Both low-volume and high-volume runs are welcome.
Contact AMP for Steel Heat Treating Solutions
Looking for a partner for your steel heat treating needs? Turn to the metalworking experts at AMP! We offer a broad range of heat treating capabilities to suit different customer requirements and restrictions. In addition to our heat treating services, we provide cleaning, packaging, and barcoding. We also include free delivery for customers within 150 miles of our Rockford, IL or Milwaukee, WI facilities.
For more information about our heat treating services and how they can help in your next project, contact us today. To discuss your project specs with one of our team members, request a quote.
back to top