Precision Laser Cutting Services
At Accurate Metals, we’ve provided metalworking services to industrial customers for over 25 years. One of our core service offerings is precision laser cutting, which allows us to cut a variety of metals-i.e., steel, stainless steel, alloy steel, and low-alloy steel-to customer-specified shapes and sizes.
. An Overview of Our Capabilities
Our CNC-controlled, Fiber Laser cutting tables can handle parts up to 10' long by 5' wide. Stainless steel can be accommodated up to 3/8" thick & Carbon steel up to 1/2". We can work to minimum tolerances (length & width) of <.1793 +/-.003", >.1793 - .25" +/-.005,>.25"-.375" +/-.006", >.375" -.5" +/-.008
We have performed precision Laser cutting on such components as Agriculture, Automation, heavy duty vehicle parts, and OEM components.
While we fulfill project requests for customers across the United States, we offer free delivery to locations within 150 miles of our two facilities (Rockford, IL and Milwaukee, WI) to stimulate local business relationships. For more information about our precision Laser cutting services, or our other services, please contact Accurate Metals.
Examples of Our Work
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Crankshaft Counterweight for the Energy Industry
- Fabrication of a Steel Drive Ring for the Manufacturing Industry
- Fabrication of a Large Bearing Cap for the Mining Industry
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Rotor for the Electrical Industry
Laser Cutting Services - Capabilities
- General Capabilities
- Cutting Action Type
- CNC Controlled
- Cutting Axis
- 3 Axis
- Equipment Features
- Down Draft Cutting Tables
Repeatable Cut-Edge Quality
Hole and Internal Shape Cuts
- Cutting Materials
Low Alloy Steel
- Cutting Thickness
- Up to 1/2"(Steel)
Up to 3/8"(Stainless Steel)
- Cutting Length
- Up to 10'(120")
- Cutting Width
- Up to 5'(60")
- Narrow to Reduce Waste
- Tolerance(+/-)(Length & Width)
- Lifting Capacity
- 2 Ton
- Additional Services
*Free Delivery (150 mile Radius of Milwaukee or Rockford)
- Production Volume
- Low to High Volume
- Lead Time
- Inquire for current lead times
back to top
- Industry Focus
- Agriculture, Automation / Production Equipment,
Construction, Mining, Nuclear, Material Handling,
Municipal/ Government, Power Generation, Rail, Wind
- Intended Application
Heavy Duty Vehicle
- Industry Standards
- File Formats
- AutoCAD (DWG, DXF)
An Overview of the Laser Cutting Process
The laser cutting process relies on a high-powered laser to cut through material. As the laser beam passes across the workpiece, it heats, melts, and partially or entirely vaporizes localized sections. An assist gas protects the laser components from thermal damage and expels the excess waste material from the targeted areas, assisting in the formation of the desired cuts.
The design and configuration of laser cutting equipment vary depending on the project specifications. For example, parts with high precision and accuracy requirements are generally made on CNC laser cutters to achieve tighter dimensional tolerances. The type of laser employed-e.g., CO2 vs. solid-state—is similarly dependent on the part and production needs.
- CO2 lasers utilize carbon dioxide as the active laser medium. Compared to fiber lasers, they are generally much weaker. As such, they are typically used for cutting through non-metal and other soft materials or engraving metals and other hard materials.
- Fiber lasers are one of the most commonly employed types of solid-state lasers. They utilize optical fibers made from rare elements (e.g., neodymium or ytterbium) as their active laser mediums. Compared to CO2 lasers, they are more powerful, meaning they can cut a broader range of metal and non-metal materials. Other key advantages include better precision, accuracy, and efficiency.
Laser Cutting Benefits
In comparison to other cutting processes, laser cutting offers a number of benefits, such as:
- Better cutting precision and accuracy. Laser cutters-especially CNC-compatible units-allow for the cutting of parts and products with highly complex and/or intricate designs to tight tolerances. This quality ensures the finished pieces comply with the design specifications from one part to the next and between runs.
- Broader design flexibility. The laser cutting process readily accommodates a wide range of designs in varying sizes and thicknesses as the equipment simply needs to be reprogrammed to suit the project specifications.
- Lower risk of mechanical and thermal distortion. Since the laser cutting process is inherently contactless, there is a smaller chance of mechanical distortion occurring in the workpiece, including for highly thin of flexible materials. Additionally, the use of a focused beam decreases the average size of the heat affected zone (HAZ) on the workpiece compared to other cutting processes, which, in turn, reduces the risk of thermal distortion.
- Smaller material utilization-to-waste ratio. Laser cutting technology allows manufacturers to achieve greater precision and accuracy during cutting operations, which enables them to place individual part designs closer together on the workpiece without sacrificing product or process quality. As a result, the overall amount of material required to complete a laser cutting operation is much lower than other cutting processes.
Materials We Laser Cut
Both steel and stainless steel are commonly used in laser cutting operations as they readily accommodate the process with little to no issues. At Accurate Metal Products, we offer precision laser cutting capabilities for steel, stainless steel, and other alloy and low-alloy steels. Equipped with large CNC-controlled, fiber laser cutting tables, we can process materials up to 10 feet long by 5 feet wide by 3/8 inches (for stainless steel) or 1/2 inches (for carbon steel) thick. We can work minimum tolerances (length & width) of <.1793 inches +/-.003 inches, >.1793–.25 inches +/- .005 inches, >.25–.375 inches +/-.006 inches, and >.375–.5 inches +/-.008 inches.
Typical Industries & Applications Served
The AMP team provides precision laser cutting services to customers in a wide range of industries, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Automation / Production Equipment
- Material Handling
- Municipal/ Government
- Power Generation
Examples of the laser cut components we produce include agricultural and automation equipment components, armor plating, heavy-duty automobile and truck parts, and OEM parts.
Contact the AMP Experts for Your Precision Laser Cutting Needs
Laser cutting allows for the manufacture of highly precise and accurate components. If you’re looking for a partner for your laser cutting needs, turn to the experts at Accurate Metals.
At Accurate Metals, we offer precision laser cutting capabilities for projects involving steel and stainless steel alloys and low to high production volumes. In addition to our laser cutting capabilities, we also offer cleaning, packaging, barcoding, and other post-processing services to achieve a complete or near-complete solution. We can comply with a variety of industry standards (e.g., ANSI, ASME, ASTM), depending on customer specifications.
For more information about our laser cutting services and how they can help in your next project, contact us or request a quote today.
back to top