Metal Stress Relieving - Heat Treating Services
At Accurate Metal Products (AMP), we provide metalworking solutions to industrial customers. In addition to metal fabrication capabilities (e.g., oxy-fuel flame cutting, plasma cutting, and laser cutting), we maintain the ability to perform a range of material treatment and finishing operations so we can deliver components that fully meet the needs of our customers.
One of our heat treating service offerings is thermal stress relieving for carbon steel, and other steel alloys. The treatment is used to alleviate or eliminate internal stresses within a metal component or assembly resulting from previous manufacturing operations (e.g., cutting, forming, machining, welding, etc.). These stresses can cause distortion, fracturing, and other damage to a component if they are not properly handled.
Examples of Our Work
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Crankshaft Counterweight for the Energy Industry
- Fabrication of a Steel Drive Ring for the Manufacturing Industry
- Fabrication of a Large Bearing Cap for the Mining Industry
- Flame Cutting of a Steel Rotor for the Electrical Industry
Heat Treating, Thermal Stress Relieving & Annealing - Capabilities
- Annealing Methods
Subcritical Anneal (500 - 1400°F)
- Stress Relieving Methods
Standard Stress Relieve (1100 - 1200°F)
ASME Section I
ASME Section I (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section I, PW-39
ASME Section VIII
ASME Section VIII (900 - 1300°F)
ASME Section VIII, UCS-56
- Carbon Steel
- Part Length
- Up to 105"
- Part Width
- Up to 60"
- Part Weight
- 10,000 lbs.
- Lifting Capacity
- 5 to 10 ton
- Additional Services
*Free Delivery (150 mile Radius of Milwaukee or Rockford)
- Production Volume
- Low to High Volume
- Lead time
- Inquire for current lead times
back to top
- Industry Focus
- Agriculture, Automation / Production Equipment,
Construction, Mining, Nuclear, Material Handling,
Municipal/ Government, Power Generation, Rail, Wind
- Intended Application
Heavy Duty Vehicle
- Industry Standards
- File Formats
- AutoCAD (DWG, DXF)
Overview of the Stress Relieving Process
While stress relieving operations can vary slightly from project to project depending on a number of factors (e.g., material, internal stresses, and previous processing operations), they generally involve first heating and then slowly cooling the component.
- Heating. The component must be heated to a temperature high enough to lower the yield strength to the point where the internal stresses can relieve themselves. The amount of time the component is heated is a minimum of one hour or until the whole piece has reached the desired temperature.
- Cooling. After the component is fully heated, it is removed from the furnace and cooled in still air. The cooling process must be conducted at a rate slow enough to avoid the formation or introduction of thermal stresses.
Stress relieving can be performed for a variety of materials, ranging from metal to plastic and ferrous to non-ferrous. Steel stress relieving operations typically involve heating temperatures between 800 to 1,300° F.
Benefits of Stress Relieving
Stress relieving is highly beneficial for manufacturing projects. For example:
- It reduces the risk of material cracking or deforming in future heat treatment operations.
- It makes metals easier to machine after heat treatment operations.
- It improves component performance in the intended application.
- It enhances component resistance to volatile environments.
Thermal Stress Relieving Services at AMP
The metalworking experts at AMP offer thermal stress relieving capabilities for carbon steel, and various other steel alloys. We can accommodate parts up to 105 inches long x 60 inches wide x 72 inches high and between 5 to 10 tons in weight. Low-volume and high-volume runs are accepted. Free delivery is included for customers within 150 miles of our Rockford, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin facilities.
Stress Relieving Methods
Different components may require different stress relieving methods. We are equipped for the following:
- Standard Stress Relieve (1100 - 1200° F)
- ASME Section I
- ASME Section I (900 - 1300° F)
- ASME Section I, PW-39
- ASME Section VIII
- ASME Section VIII (900 - 1300° F)
- ASME Section VIII, UCS-56
We provide stress relieving solutions to customers from a wide range of industries, including:
- Automation / Production Equipment
- Material Handling
- Municipal/ Government
- Power Generation
Typical parts and products we process include:
- Armor plating
- Heavy-duty vehicles
- OEM components
Industry Standards Met
Industry standards we can meet include:
Contact Us for Your Stress Relieving Needs
Need a stress relieving service partner for your next metalworking project? As an ISO 9001:2015-certified custom manufacturer of steel sheet and plate products, Accurate Metal Products is the ideal choice! We can deliver fully fabricated and finished components that meet your exact specifications and standards.
To learn more about our metal stress relieving capabilities and how we can help in your next project, contact us today. To discuss your project specs with one of our team members, request a quote.
back to top